I don’t know what my take on Trump is.
If I had been able to vote I would have voted for him. But I would have done that with lots of doubts. And now, just a few days after his inauguration I am even more puzzled about the man. I am actually quite scared.
What if after all he is really the Adolph Hitler of the 21st century? I find myself wondering sometimes after watching on TV the last bonkers thing he’s done or said.
But then he does something else and I can’t help thinking: that’s a very reasonable thing to do actually, quite refreshing in comparison with other politicians. We are so bored of cookie-cutter, politically-correct, cowardly politicians.
And then again, the next thing he says, makes me fear once more that he’s got an enormous potential to bring us chaos, or corruption, or war, or social conflict, etc.
He’s the most difficult to gauge politician that I have ever encountered.
So, since I still don’t have an opinion about him, I will just list a sample of things I’ve recently liked or hated about him:
Some Good Stuff
- move away the biggest threat to humanity (it’s nuclear war stupid) by fixing relationship with naughty Russia
- address the elephant in the room: if we don’t do something soon China will be the first super power in a few years
- dare to denounce the tyranny of political correctness that is rotting our free thinking and freedom of speech
- fight against the society of over regulation of business activity, scientific research, etc that hinders our development
- stop the Hispanization of America and open the conversation about the kind of emigration we want
Some Scary Stuff
- 100% incapable to admit mistakes
- completely clinical case of narcissism
- he can scam people he needs to do it (e.g. Trump University)
- he’s go a serious self-control problem (e.g. the guy tweets whatever he fancies, no matter what)
- plus the first singals of autoritairan derive: (e.g. he says to a journalist from the very White House press room that he won’t talk to him ’cause his been a bad boy)
So he’s full of common sense and has a great diagnostic about what’s rotting America.
But at the same time he checks all the boxes of the tyrant.
Fortunately America is a democracy with lots of checks and balances.
The oldest democracy in the world.
The only country in the world that has never been ruled by a dictator or some sort of king.
But democracies can also decay.
And a couple of days ago, when right after entering the White House he said that they’ll prove that the election has been rigged and that he actually won the popular vote, I started to get really scared. It reminded me to so many authoritarins that soon after getting to power through democratic elections used their newly acquired power to re-write the narrative and convince the people that there are enemies of democracy that tried to prevent them from ruling. When they start to get the people rally around them with this false narrative they start to take exceptional measures against the “enemies of democracy”. Anything goes then and that can be the end of a democracy.
He could be the next Hitler.
Hitler too sort of won an election by democratic means. And look how the whole thing finished.
And, like Trump, I’m sure that Hitler said lots of common-sense, cut-the-crap, face-reality-now things at the beginning.
He applied lots of reasonable, empowering measures at the beginning.
He gave the depressed Germans a new sense of purpose.
With his sound policies he really made Germany Great Again.
But at the same time he ended democracy in Germany, murdered millions of his citizens, and started the worst war in the history of humanity.
Things are not white or black. Things are complex.
Hillary was dark gray.
Trump is a checkered white and black.
Hillary was really bad, so little good in her, so mediocre, timid, bellicist in disguise, corrupt, heroine of the status quo, etc.
But the black in Trump is darker than the dark gray of Hillary.
If Trump’s black overtakes Trump’s white we’re fucked.